feetonwire

Friday, March 6, 2009

Happy Slapper

Okay, so we can't complain...Drew has been sleeping right through the night, 12 to 13 hours, for weeks now. We do KNOW we're lucky. However, there is always a downside...Drew has become a 'Happy-Slapper'.

Urban Dictionary Definition : Happy slaps, Happy slapper, Happy slapping:
"Slapping a random person (they can be on the bus, walking down the street, whatever) whilst recording the act with a video camera phone".


Obviously, Drew doesn't have a REAL mobile phone, but give it time. However, she seems to like to smack other babies, usually those younger than her. She carried out a full-on slap to the head at 'Nursery Rhyme Time' at the library the other week. Thankfully, I didn't see it, but EVERYONE heard it. It was a loud slap which landed on a little baby boy's head. Thing is, it doesn't matter how much I say 'NO' and tell her off and move her away from the situation, she thinks its highly amusing and looks to me to see if I think she did a good job!!

Everyone says its just a phase and she will stop doing it, but in the meantime, I worry everytime I put her anywhere near smaller babies. You know when she's going to do it though...she has this cheeky little smile which forms. Then she looks at you and her smile gets bigger. She then turns her gaze back to her happy-slapper victim. You then have about 5 seconds to remove her before she carries out her attack. Sometimes I make it, sometimes (like at the library) I'm not so quick.

Let's hope this phase doesn't last too much longer. Whatever next? Grand theft auto??????

3 comments:

  1. My daughter started that kind of thing around 10 months of age. They are testing you, not intentionally but to figure out how the world, including you, works.
    I would gently take her hand and rub my face softly and say "nice mommy". If she continued to hit me, I would say "ouch" and set her down on the floor and ignore her for a few seconds, then pretend it didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started to say no in a stern voice, and a serious face. He understood right away we meant business. He would cry when we said no, and that is so normal. It made me sad to see that I made him cry, but if I ran to him hugging him he would never learn that no means for him to stop the "bad" thing he was doing.
    He is 16 months old now, and he does not hit. I do have to tell him no when he tries to do things I do not want him to do.......... like throw the TV remote in the trash. I say no, and he no longer cries. He puts the remote down, and goes on with playing with his toys. I am happy he we taught him no at that age. It has helped us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it was me, I would hold her hands and intervene with her being able to slap. I also think that an 18 month old can be put into a play yard or you could sit down on a chair with her on your lap facing forward. You are right that trying to explain would be pointless with a young toddler but you could definitely say "No. I will not let you hurt me." I really think the important thing is to stop the activity and let her know that you will not let it continue. An 18-month old understands the word "No" because it is often the first meaningful word that young children use. "No slapping" or "No hurting" with you holding her hands or arms to stop the aggression might be a way to start. I hope this helps.
    Does anyone else have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger
Google