feetonwire

Sunday, September 23, 2007

33 Weeks - Abdominal Pain

I had some abdominal pains while I was in office yesterday. They came in waves and got steadily stronger and stronger. I started keeping a record of the frequency and how long the pain lasted for.

As they got worse, I realised I wouldn't be able to drive home, so I got a lift.

I called the Emergency Midwife on call for some advice who advised me to call the hospital. I did this and they suggested that because there was no bleeding or spotting, I should stay at home, relax, have a bath and just monitor the pain.

The pain did subside that evening, but during the night, it flared up again and became quite strong. Goodness knows what I'll be like in labour!!!!!

After calling the hospital again, they advised us to come in which we did.

Again, they monitored the baby, who was moving around without a care in the world and advised me I was experiencing labour pains. At this stage, if the baby decides to make an early appearance, the baby's lungs are not fully formed and not be strong enough to cope so they would have to inject steroids...so they admitted me and kept an eye on me and the baby.

The Midwives and Nurses were great and made me feel very comfortable and safe.

I was moved to a Maternity Ward at 8.45am Sat morning...wanting SO much to get some well needed sleep, only to be met with curtains being opened, lights going on and visits for the other female patients.

As I tried to get some sleep, Jerry went home for a rest too as the hospital visiting chairs are not the best for getting 40 winks!

The pain slowly subsided by itself and they advised us that these labour pains were Braxton Hicks. The Doctor was great and didn't make me feel like an idiot for calling them originally although I did feel like a time waster. They reassured me that the health of me and the baby is THE most important thing and we did the right thing by coming in.

As the Doctor was discharging me, she mentioned I had SPD and was the answer to why I was still experiencing groin pain and discomfort. SPD!! Not sure why it was never diagnosed before!! We learnt about SPD in one of our Antenatal Classes, but I never thought that was the cause of my groin pain and burning sensation.

In one way, it was a relief to know what was wrong with me so it could be treated, but in another, there wasn't a lot that could be done to help. Read my next blog for further details about SPD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Google